Monday, June 27, 2016

Timehop Made Me Do It

Sometimes, Timehop is one of my favorite parts of the day. I love it for the same reason I love clicking through all of my Facebook profile pictures in one sitting, or going through all of the family videos that my mom posted years ago. Memories, you know? There's just nothing like it.

Other times, though, Timehop pulls out memories that are best left forgotten. Like this status, which I supposedly posted five years ago:



What does that even mean? Why would I even say that? Five years ago may have been half a decade, but I'm pretty sure that it was past the poking prime, and weren't we all grateful for that? Addicting. I have no explanation.

Anyway, the next day, Jaron and I decided to make a "Facebook once a day" rule for ourselves, lest we fall into the dreaded poking addiction once more.

As a result, this weekend we realized that we had some free time on our hands, and decided to be spontaneous. So, at 8:30 pm on a Friday night, we threw some things in the car and drove to a nearby canyon to spend the night at a first-come-first-serve campground. We had camped there with a group of friends last summer while we were dating, so it also served as a bit of a walk down memory lane.


We drove up and around all the twists and turns of the mountain, and my husband fearlessly drove us through a river to get us to our most adventurous destination. (I, on the other hand, held my breath the whole five seconds until we were on dry ground. Even though I knew that we had made it through in a much smaller car last year, it was equally as terrifying this time around.)

Most of the campgrounds were filled by the time we got there, so we continued up into the unrestricted camping area and pitched our little tent by the side of the dirt road. After we had pulled out some camping chairs and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows on our little camping stove, we spread out a blanket and laid down to face the millions of far-away stars. As we breathed in the fresh mountain air, we watched for satellites and shooting stars, and wished on them as they streaked across that velvet sky.


In the morning, Jaron fired up the camping stove and made us the best oatmeal I've ever tasted. I guess you could say that our breakfast was pretty in-tents. (Bet you never heard that one before.) And then we symbolically said farewell to our rock-throwing 12-year-old neighbors by packing up our things and driving down to the trailhead that we had planned to hike.

If ever you have a chance to check out the Silver Lake Trail, I highly recommend it! The hike is about 4.5 miles round-trip, and ends at a little lake nestled right in the middle of the mountains. There's a trail that goes around the lake, and there's some trout for fishing as well. A few parts get a little steep going up, but it's definitely approachable. We saw several families making their way up, and quite a few backpackers who had spent the night were on their way back down in the morning.



When we got up to the lake, we took our time wandering around and exploring the surroundings. We ran into a couple of friends while we were there, and spent a good long while taking in these incredible views. Who knew Utah was so green?



(This is the only shot I got of him with his arms and legs down after I told him to look "pensive.")



It looks like our spontaneous packing up and taking off paid off for us this time around. And even though we forgot sunscreen and are now suffering the consequences, this was much better than Facebook. 

Thanks, Timehop.

No comments:

Post a Comment